Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Midnight Snack

The other day, Benjamin and I went to Chadstone shopping centre to get cat food (among other things). On ou way home we stopped by The Oriental Tea House, where we had a lovely iced tea each and I had dumplings. Benjamin, not being able to eat the dumpling wrappers, had Hot and Spicy Turkey, which was served in a bed of green soy beans. I had never seen them before (though I do enjoy soy products), and had never been interested enough to try Edamame at my favourite Japanese restaurant (I'm usually too busy rifling through their extensive menu).

Of course, I stole (with permission!) a few from Benjamin's plate. I really quite enjoyed them. They were a beautiful colour, an interesting texture and paired with the sauce quite nicely (though it was neither hot nor spicy).

On my way home from work today I decided to have a quick look in the Asian grocery store nearby but sadly did not find any fresh beans. I did, however, find a 500g packet of frozen beans for something like $1.65. I also picked up a daikon radish, something else I was keen to try.



This isn't quite a recipe post. My edamame beans are tasty, but I didn't get everything quite right. I cooked the beans in salted boiling water until they were tender, then drained and plated them, arranging julienned daikon and cucumber on the top. I couldn't resist adding some finely shredded pickled ginger (I always have a jar of it in the fridge these days - I'll just grab a little bit each night to nibble on - as it's currently one of my favourite things in the world) and added some bought chuka salad sauce: you know, the amazing tangy dressing on seaweed (chuka) salad from sushi places? I've never been able to replicate it, so I hunted it down in a couple of Asian grocery stores (I managed to find it in Laguna Oriental Supermarket in the QV complex on Lonsdale/Swanston/Russell Sts).

All in all it's not a bad snack, but I think the ginger is what makes it work; I think the daikon and cucumber are a little watery, so I've got some sitting in a bowl in the fridge, covered with vinegar and a little bit of sugar and salt: a quick pickle. I'll try again in a couple of days and see if it improves the dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment