Sunday, October 17, 2010

Asparagus

Asparagus is another of those foods I never really liked much. When I was growing up, it was usually boiled until soft, so I didn't much care for the texture on top of disliking the taste. In recent years, though, I've become reacquainted with this lovely spring vegetable, mainly through the influence of Benjamin and his family. My favourite way to cook asparagus (and green beans, incidentally) is to heat a little olive oil and butter in a pan, then add the asparagus, a pinch of salt and some freshly cracked black pepper, and cook for not much longer than it takes to heat the asparagus through.

Today, I've been stuck inside finishing an assignment for my Certificate IV in Retail Management, so I didn't want to spare much time to make lunch. When Benjamin and I visited the Queen Vic Market yesterday, a display of asparagus bunches caught my eye: they were very skinny spears; younger asparagus than you'd normally find in a greengrocer or supermarket. I decided I had to have them.

Young Asparagus in Garlic Butter
Quanitity adaptable

Ingredients:
Young asparagus spears, rinsed, any woody ends trimmed
butter
garlic, finely chopped
bocconcini, sliced into strips
dried, salted pistachios, shelled, kernels halved

Method:
Heat a little water in a non-stick frypan until boiling. Add asparagus and cook until bright green and slightly softened. Drain and refresh in cold water to retain the bright colour. Set aside.

Dry the pan and cook butter and garlic until butter is foaming and garlic is soft. Add asparagus and toss to coat. Arrange on a serving plate and top with bocconcini and pistachios.

I couldn't resist taking more photos of this delicious dish - young asparagus has a sweeter flavour than the kind you normally find:

Down to the last two spears, and savouring them...

And I have just one word for you ...

YUM!

2 comments:

  1. Your recipe reminded me of this one:
    http://www.choosy-beggars.com/index.php/2010/07/16/asparagus-with-curried-cheese-sauce/

    I am going to have to get my asparagus on more often. I don't care if my urine smells funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to come over for lunch one day!
    OR you could make this Thursday? Pretty please!

    ReplyDelete