Sunday, October 31, 2010

Spring Pork and Peas

Wow, has it really been a week since my last post? Unfortunately this week I've been living on a budget, which means I've made pumpkin soup and fritters and have been eating leftovers. Then it was my birthday, so I wasn't allowed to cook, and last night I had dinner at Benjamin's place. Today, however, I have been cooking and have just finished an early dinner (I couldn't wait to try it!). May I present:

Spring Pork and Peas
Quantity adaptable


Ingredients:

2 pork ribs, rind trimmed
1/2 brown onion
2 star anise
12 peppercorns
water
salt
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1tsbp brown sugar
1 pork leg steak per person
peas - fresh if you've got them, frozen if you haven't

Method:

First, make the pork broth. Place pork ribs, onion, star anise and peppercorns in a large stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for several hours, skimming the top and adding salt to taste. Keep tasting and remove from the heat when it's nice and meaty. Remove ribs and save the meat if you want (I just ate it then and there. What? I was hungry!). Discard onion, star anise and peppercorns. Strain through a fine sieve (I used a piece of clean damp cloth inside my sieve to ensure all the tiny pieces wouldn't go through).

Meanwhile, place vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, then simmer until reduced. Remove from heat and pour into a jug.

Place frozen peas into a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for a minute, strain and repeat. Drain them again and add 2 spoonfuls of stock. Mash roughly with a fork (if using fresh, just follow the last two steps).

Cook the pork steaks in a little oil until just cooked. Add balsamic glaze just before removing from the heat, and turn the steaks to coat. Remove from the pan, cover with foil and let them rest for 5 minutes before slicing them thinly.

Arrange peas in a serving bowl. Place pork steaks on top, and carefully ladle the broth into the bowl. Finish with a little bit of salt and pepper.

If you've got leftover broth, it will keep in the fridge for about three days. Otherwise place it in a freezer safe container, label and date it and it should keep in the freezer for about three months. Use it in place of chicken or beef stock in sauces and soups.

No comments:

Post a Comment